Prepare: Winter is Coming
We all love New York City in the snow, until that winter wonderland turns to a slushy, icy mess. That's why each year the NYC Department of Sanitation releases borough-based snow preparedness plans that you can follow to prepare for winter. From snow to sleet to icy sidewalks, DSNY has a plan to keep streets and sidewalks clear during the cold season ahead. Plus, read on for how the Union Square Partnership supplements the City's efforts to prepare our streets for winter.
DSNY Snow Preparedness Plan
DSNY's Snow Plan outlines measures the City takes to clear streets for easy transportation, and address issues of public safety related to snow and ice conditions.
- To best prepare NYC to operate effortlessly in the snow, DSNY:
- Performs salt spreading on roadways
- Plows, piles and hauls snow from the City's roadways
- Works to avoid large melting of snow in major roadways hauling, and melting of significant snow accumulations from the City's roadways
- Wondering when the Department of Sanitation is going to clear your street? Follow GPS-equipped salt spreaders and snow plows as they progress through your neighborhood. Use PlowNYC to learn the last time your streets were cleared and when they are next scheduled to be cleared again.
- Feeling like you want to lend a hand? Sign up to be a Snow Laborer. DSNY hires temporary laborers to assist after very heavy snow falls.
- Follow DSNY on social media for real-time updates all winter long.
Union Square Partnership Snow Efforts
- Clean Team: Our Clean Team, contracted through Streetplus, supplements the City's snow clearing efforts by removing snow from crosswalks, catch basins and around fire hydrants. These efforts are spearheaded by our tireless Operations Director Tom DiRusso, Operations Manager McLawrence Glynn, and Clean Team Supervisor Mamdou Ndiaye.
- Business Owners: Business property owners can help by working to clear in front of their properties to keep the neighborhood accessible. Additionally, please keep trash inside and off sidewalks until snow removal operations have been completed.
- Union Square Park: Steer clear of Union Square Park in the snow while the Parks Department clears pathways.
Subscribe to our newsletter for District Alerts on storms and blizzards, where you'll receive updates on closures for Greenmarket, Citi Bike, the MTA and more.