Host a Glamorous Oscars Party in Union Square
The Oscars is undoubtedly one of the most glamorous nights of the year: show-stopping gowns, dashing tuxedos, and the finale of awards season. Whether you're more into the movies or the red carpet drama, watching this chic night in style is a must. See recommendations in our curated guide to hosting a glam Oscars Watch Party in Union Square.
Before the awards start, you've got to do your research. List through the 2018 Oscars Nominations here! Once you've picked your movie, grab your boo or your besties and have a movie night at one of these Union Square theaters:
- Regal Union Square Stadium 14: 4818, 850 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
- AMC Loews 19th St East 6: 890 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
- AMC Village 7: 66 Third Ave, New York, NY 10003
For a limited time leading up to The Oscars on March 4th, Regal Union Square Stadium 14 will serve an exclusive "Cheetos Popcorn." Hurry to get your cheese-coated fingers on it!
Now that you are an expert on the nominations, you're ready to throw the ultimate viewing party worthy of an Oscar of its own. Consider how big you want to go and whether there will be a theme. Costumes in March? Yes, please.
First thing's first - your party venue should be as extravagant as the Oscars. Decorate with gold and black balloons, streamers, and banners to add some extra glitz. Paper Source, Flying Tiger Copenhagen and Party City have some ideas to get you started:
- Buy a large roll of red fabric or paper to turn your hallway into the Red Carpet as guests arrive.
- Pass out ballots for every one to make their best guesses on winning nominations. Any glitter or gold box from a craft store would make a great DIY ballot box.
- Award Best Dressed, Best Voter, and other prizes to your guests. Paper Source has a free printable statue template that won't break the bank. For honorable mention awards, Fishs Eddy has mini "You Tried" trophies - and they're on sale.
- Hang up banners and streamers around entry ways and place Hollywood clapboards for guests to take photos with. Both decorations can be found at either Flying Tiger Copenhagen or Party City.
No Viewing Party is complete without candy - a lot of it. If you can't make candy parachutes fall from the sky like Jimmy Kimmel at last years awards, make your own "candy bar" for guests to choose from. Stick to the classics or go crazy at Dylan's Candy Bar where you can find crystal rock candy, and gold studded chocolate-dipped pretzels. If you're feeling extra fancy, find champagne-infused gummy bears by Sugarfina at Paper Source.
What's a movie night without popcorn? WildCraft Farms at Union Square Greenmarket has delicious, high quality popcorn that you'll definitely want to stock up on. Pour popcorn into individual boxes to give guests an authentic movie theater experience.
In case your crowd wants more than candy and popcorn, consider catering from a selection of delicious Union Square favorites. Try Whole Foods, Martina Pizza, Beecher's Handmade Cheese, Luke's Lobster, or Daily Provisions.
Finally, don't forget the bubbly. Browse through a large selection of champagne at Union Square Wine & Spirits and stock up to keep the celebration going through the entire 3-hour show. For those who are all about the bubbly, Irvington will be showing the Awards and serving "Best Picture" themed craft cocktails and popcorn.