Walk, Play, and Bike Down Park Avenue at NYC Summer Streets 2018
Get out and about in New York City with the 11th Annual NYC Summer Streets Event! Summer Streets will open 6.9 miles of Park Avenue and connecting streets, from the Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park, for pedestrians, cyclists and joggers to enjoy free food, fitness classes, performances and art workshops all in the middle of an NYC Avenue.
To become a sponsor or local partner, contact SummerStreets@dot.nyc.gov or register here.
Volunteers are needed to assist with marshaling the route, directing participants and running a safe and fun event. Register online here.
Residents and businesses should be prepared for the adjustments for these three Saturdays in August.
Crosstown Street Access to Motor Vehicles in Union Square: 14th Street, 23rd Street, 10th Street, 9th Street
Consider scheduling deliveries and pick-ups on Friday and/or after 2 PM on the three Summer Street Saturdays
- Notify your clients and customers ahead of time and invite them to participate in the festivities
- Parking will be restricted along the route beginning at 11 PM the night before each event through 2 PM the day of the event. You are encouraged to plan ahead and observe posted parking restrictions
- Access to garages on side streets WILL be possible
- Noise volumes will be kept low throughout the event with not amplified sound before 10 AM
- Buses will be rerouted along the Summer Streets route; look for posted signs or visit mta.info for more information
- Major crosstown streets will be open to traffic and most crosstown buses will remain unaffected
- Subways along the route will remain unaffected by the event
- No parking regulations will be in effect from 11 PM the Friday evening before each event until 2 PM the day of the event
- Street closures will begin at 6 AM with streets reopening at 1:30 PM on the day of each event
Activities in and around Union Square
citi bike stations
- Ride down Park Avenue South and dock your bike in Union Square at one of our six local stations and explore neighborhood businesses for brunch, shopping and more.
Midtown Rest Stop
Food & Beverage Sampling Zone (25th Street between Park and Madison Avenues)
Bike New York (24th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues) will host a learn to ride group class which you can register for here, a make your own origami tulip workshop, and a bike service station for free tire inflation, chain lubrication, and a bike safety inspection
DOT Safety Education (24th Street Between Park and Madison Avenues) is giving away free DOT vision Zero bike helmets
- Stop by the Union Square Greenmarket as you make your way downtown to pick up some farm fresh produce and other local goods
Astor Place: Outdoor Adventure
- BBF Bouldering Wall & Obstacle Course (Astor Place between Broadway and Lafayette Street)
- I LOVE NY Mobile Visitor's Center (4th Avenue between 8th Street and 9th Street)
- DEP Water on the Go will be providing water from portable water fountains along the route. Just look for the bright blue tent!
Click here for more information